Hey! Today I wanted to give you guys my thoughts on the Play! by Sephora monthly subscription box. In the past, I’ve tried monthly subscription bags or boxes from Ipsy, Birchbox, and Julep. I did enjoy the boxes, but after a few months, I felt like I was collecting products I was not going to use. I’d maybe have one item per box that I really liked, so after about four to six months, I’d cancel my subscription with the reasoning that if I skipped out on a subscription for a while, then that money would add up and I could go do a little makeup haul and get items that I really wanted.
About a year ago, I heard that Sephora was testing out a subscription box, and I immediately put myself on the wait list. After months and months of impatiently waiting, I got my first box in May. Each box contains four or five deluxe samples and a perfume sample. It’s $10 a month plus tax and shipping is free. Each month’s box has a theme to it and the items are packaged in a cute little bag that you can reuse. When you sign up for your subscription, you fill out a quick survey about your skin, hair, etc, and Sephora recently began sending out two different boxes depending on what you filled out.
I’m not going to recap every box that I’ve received, but I think that my June and September boxes have been my favorite so far. If I get something that doesn’t suit me or know I won’t use, I usually pass it on to someone that will use it. I know that these boxes are just for fun to get to try new things, but I am 100% honest so you can determine if this is something you’d be interested in.
- It’s $10 a month! Skip Starbucks or Chick Fil A run a couple times, and you’ve got your box paid for.
- It’s like you send yourself a present every month! I would be fibbing if I said that the day my box reaches my doorstep isn’t one of my favorite days of the month. (I’m pretty easy to please.)
- Everything in a tiny size is just stinking cute. I’m a total sucker for a tiny bronzer or eye cream.
- Every product can be found at Sephora, so you don’t have to search the internet and stores to find a product if you want to purchase the full size.
- Inside the box is a leaflet that explains how to use each product, and there is a card that you can take into Sephora and get 50 extra *Beauty Insider points if you make a purchase. (And you get 10 points just for purchasing the box!)
- Quite a few of the samples are generously sized and will last quite a while.
- Travel a lot? This is a great way to get smaller products to travel with.
- I love it when I get products that I already love and use. This month I got a Kat Von D Tattoo eyeliner in Trooper and an Anastasia of Beverly Hills clear brow gel. I use them all the time, so I was so excited to stock up!
- Your box is slightly tailored to your profile you fill out when you sign up. You may get items that are more specific to your skin type. You can go back and edit your profile settings if you need to.
- They sometimes will include products that are brand new and just launching.
- You will never have to buy mascara again. I haven’t received mascara every month, but I love getting mascara samples. They always seem to perform better than the full sized tubes, and since mascara is something you throw out frequently, it’s nice to have a stash of mascara.
- I like how there is usually a variety of products in each box. Along with makeup items, they also usually include skin care and hair products. One month I even got a blotting sponge from Beauty Blender.
- You will probably be on the wait list for a few months. Be prepared.
- I haven’t cared for the perfume samples at all. Yes, I’m picky and sensitive to scents, so that doesn’t help. I usually end up tossing them.
- I got a liquid bronzer two months in a row. Yes, they were from different brands, but I was disappointed, especially since the alternate box one month had an awesome powder bronzer in it that I really would have liked to try. #firstworldproblems
- Since they are trying hard to build a box that will work for people of all skin tones, skin types, and hair types, the colors of items won’t always work. I was so excited to get a Bite Beauty lipstick in my first box, except that it was a bright pink. Epic fail for this pale faced gal. Also one of the liquid bronzers I got was super orange on me. I know this is part of the experience and part of being fair skinned with cool undertones.
- This really isn’t a con, but I put in here more as a suggestion. I think that Sephora has done a pretty good job of getting a variety of really good brands in the boxes, but it would be fun to get something from a luxury brand in the box (YSL, Dior, etc). Since those brands a pretty expensive, it would be awesome to have a little treat in the box every now and then!
So overall, I think that I would definitely recommend trying out the Sephora box. Below is a link to sign up for the wait list. Do you have a subscription box that you love?
Here’s the link if you’re interested in signing up (aka getting on the wait list):
*Sephora has a customer rewards program called Beauty Insider. You get points for every dollar you spend and you can use those points to get deluxe samples to try. They update the samples every month. And you get a free gift your birthday month just for being signed up! (And the birthday gifts are usually pretty good!)
Note: This post was not sponsored by Sephora or anyone else. I just really like makeup, especially mini sized products.