In a week and a half, my brother is getting married to the most darling gal, and I couldn’t be more excited for them! She sweetly asked me to be a bridesmaid, which I am pretty stoked about. Not just about the fact that I get to stand up at the altar to watch my brother marry the love of his life, but also for two words: wedding makeup. I LOVE wedding makeup! I did my own makeup on my wedding day, and I had the honor of doing many of my friends’ makeup for their wedding days.
I would be lying if I said that I didn’t start thinking about how I would do my makeup for my brother’s wedding about 0.25 seconds after I was asked to be a member of the wedding party. I will also be doing my mom’s makeup and will offer my help (along with 85 pounds of makeup I plan on bringing) to any of the other bridesmaids if they’d like. I thought I’d share some of my tips for bridal makeup and even some of the prep beforehand. These tips can be used if you are a bride, bridesmaid, or are just wanting some glam makeup for a special occasion, such as prom, a holiday party, or professional photos.
1. Start thinking about how you want your makeup to look in advance. Do you want a red lip? Smoky eye? Soft and romantic look? YouTube and Pinterest are great places to get ideas. This will help you or your makeup artist stay on track with creating the exact makeup look that you feel beautiful and comfortable in.
2. If you are going to change up any of your skin care, do it weeks or even months before the big day, that way if something makes you break out, you can swap out that product. Consider getting a hydrating facial, but be careful of most facials if you don’t get them routinely, since they can pull toxins from your skin, causing you to break out.
3. If you plan on waxing your brows, do it at least two weeks before your wedding in case you break out any due to the waxing. (And maybe avoid trying a new person to wax your brows, just in case they are wax happy.)
4. Do a practice of your makeup a few days out to make sure you have everything you need and that your foundation is still a good match.
5. Avoid alcohol. I know it’s tempting to have a few drinks while you are getting ready, but alcohol dehydrates the skin. Water is a gal’s best friend. It will plump your skin and help your makeup look smoother and apply better. If you do intend on still having a drink, just make sure you are getting in plenty of water too!
6. Get your beauty rest!
7. This is a day of pampering and fun: use eye masks, face masks and don’t forget to exfoliate your face and lips!
8. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.
9. Make sure you wear waterproof mascara.
10. If there is a day that you should wear false eyelashes, your wedding day is that day. It will enhance your eye makeup and add volume and length to your lashes. If you are like me and don’t feel comfortable in a strip lash, try individual lashes. They add all the drama, but look so natural and are more comfortable.
11. Don’t wear any skincare or makeup with sunscreen in it. The particles in the sunscreen will cause a white cast on your skin when you are photographed with a flash.
12. Apply your makeup a tad heavier than you normally would. I know, it sounds crazy. One of my bridesmaids kept telling me to add more blush when I was putting on my makeup, and it made me nervous, but I did it. Just wait until you see your photos. You will love it.
13. Fill in your entire lip with lip liner. This will help your lipstick and/or lipgloss last.
14. Set your makeup with a powder and use a setting spray. You want your makeup to stay out for hours!
15. Use a fuller coverage foundation. You want to look flawless! Makeup Forever has great foundations with good coverage, and they look beautiful in photos.
And that’s it for my special occasion makeup tips! Do you have any good tips you can add? Let me know!!